At the foot of Plaka, in the village called Plakes, is the fourth largest church on the island, Agios Charalambos. This church was built in 1853 (on the site of an old naidrio), thanks to the effort and donations of the few inhabitants of the village.
In the church you can see modern frescoes (the fresco of the Pantocrator in the dome, of St. Charalaipos on the left side and opposite St. Vlasios) and interesting icons such as Lord Michael, Christ, the Forerunner, the Lady of the Angels, St. Iakovou, of Ag. Aikaterini and Panagia Akradiotissa, the oldest icon of the island. The great hagiographer Kontoglou reports on the icon of Panagia Akradiotissa: The head of the Virgin is upright, as in the other old Hodegetres, of Christ as seen from the side.
The ears, the nose, the mouth are marked in siena a little darker than the model. The soft lights are applied with finer and firmer touches, as in the ancient digits, while in the newer images the illuminated ones are worked in regular lines or next to each other, taken carefully and up close. The model is red siena, the face of the Virgin Mary looks old and unsmiling, completely different from the usual type of Hodegetra